Explore Ways to Connect Together
Being a connected parent is important regardless of how old your kids are. Here are a few tried-and-true ways to connect with the kids and teens you love.
- Surprise your kids with dinner at a local park. Bring a ball or a kite and enjoy being outside together.
- Go on a nature walk together and talk about all the things you see.
- Meet some friends at a local splash pad. Be sure to bring a towel and a change of clothes.
- Watch this video together featuring the Paper Airplane Guy and have a paper airplane competition.
- Take your kids to a trampoline park and don’t just watch—jump with them!
- Surprise your kids with a spontaneous backyard water balloon fight!
- Watch one of your favorite movies from when you were a kid. Laugh together at ’80s fashion and talk about how special effects have improved!
- Try a new food or restaurant each week—each time a different family member gets to choose the restaurant or the menu at home.
- Let your student plan a family fun activity. You provide the budget and let them do the rest!
- Go out for dessert or coffee and have each family member share one place they would like to visit someday.
- Find a photo scavenger hunt online and spend an afternoon capturing photos together.
- Do something adventurous together—e.g., hiking, a ropes course, an escape room, or go-carts!